Friday, September 21, 2007

A beautiful college football weekend

A month ago, Gamecock and Tiger fans were in high anticipation of a weekend like this one.
While the odds are stacked heavily against the Gamecocks, not many of us are conceding anything to an LSU squad high on arrogance, talent and media love.
I'd bet Steve Spurrier relishes the game as a rare opportunity.
While I was very concerned that the Gamecocks would lose to Georgia in a game they could not afford to lose, I am relaxed and ready to accept whatever happens in Baton Rouge Saturday afternoon. I believe the game will be fun to watch and I hope for the best.
I'm just glad it's an afternoon game and it's on free TV.
I am also pleased that the Clemson at N.C. State game is on TV and it's on at a different time slot than the SC game.
I love a midday game that I'm interested in seeing. I have a tradition in mid-September of turning off the air conditioner, raising the windows and watching Saturday football. The ACC game of the week will be a good time to aid in continuing that tradition.
Just as LSU will provide some measure of the progress for the Gamecocks, although the opponents are wolds apart on the scale of quality, NC State will be a measuring stick of sorts for Clemson.
If C.J Spiller can shake off a bad game and the Tiger defense can stop the run, Tiger fans may be comforted. Regardless that it is versus another trademark Bowden-type opponent.
The bottom line is that this weekend is what so many of us dream about in the cold, dark days of February or in the oppressive heat of July.
And aside from the teams us South Carolineans love, there are so many other games to see.
These are the days of milk and honey, so let's enjoy them with zeal. There are but so many of them in a lifetime.

No comments: